Monday, January 2, 2012

Pouteria sapota (Sapote)

Pouteria sapota is another species of tropical fruit that was entirely new to me. Sapote (pronounced: sa-poh-tay) is one of several closely related species of tropical fruits native to Central and South America. Sapotes are commonly the size of a large grapefruit, though more oblong in shape. They have fuzzy, brown skin that dimples and separates from the flesh as the fruit ripens.

I purchased my sapote from a road side vendor. I asked the vendor what it tastes like, and she got a very confused look on her face. Eventually, she told me it was sweet and had a large pit. In fairness, it is very difficult to describe the flavor of any fruit and sapote has flavor that it particularly difficult to describe. I'd be hard pressed to come up with a more succinct description.

When we got home, I cut the fruit longitudinally and twisted the two halves to reveal a tear-shaped seed nestled in the fruit. The interior was a soft, orangey-reddish fruit – approximately the same color and texture of a cooked sweet potato.

I tried to remove the seed as if it were an avocado pit by tapping it with my knife, but the blade bounced off with hollow knocking sound. After pulling the seed out with my fingers, I saw that one side of the teak-colored woody seed was cleft, with a mottled, tan surface. It is a strikingly attractive seed.

A wide range of properties have been attributed to the unusually shaped sapote seed. They are used in cosmetics, as an aphrodisiac, and variously either an additive or adulterant of chocolate. Some source even ascribe it hallucinogenic powers. I prefer its decorative value. I've drill a small hole in it near the top and plan to hang it from my Christmas tree next year.

As for the fruit itself, it has a rich, complex flavor like nutmeg with occasional hints of pepper and citrus. My first impression was something like a cross between a papaya and an avocado. If that doesn't sound enticing, I'll admit to initial uncertainty about the charm of its flavor. Sapotes lack the sweet tanginess often associated with tropical fruits. I can see why the sapote has not become a cross over hit in North American supermarkets.

That said, there was something in its the creamy, spiced flavor that brought me back for more. If flan were a fruit, it would be a sapote. I happily finished the second half of the sapote for breakfast the next morning. And felt like I was getting away with something.

I'll definitely be keeping my eyes open for this charismatic fruit in the future...

No comments:

Post a Comment